Pages


Monday, January 23, 2012

Determination is never something to waste...

As most know, last Tuesday for me was a bust!  But greatly, I have one of those brains that never stops and is full of determination and strength...oh and all that goo stuff too like romance, talent, ect, ect.

So Last Friday I decided to get up early and get the kids off to school.  I even made me some eggs for breakfast (protein), and packed some steamed green beans for my lunch on the road.  It was going to be a long and fun day no matter what.

First up I decided to stop in a little town called Luling, Texas.  Home of some Texas Mesquite BBQ and the Watermelon Thump.  I found a little shop on Main street called "Rocky's".  I loaded a few mirrors, chair, and some knick knacks.  But I also found this piece that struck my attention.  Rocky said it looks as though it was created in that time era and not modern day.  We cracked up because we wonder how many, and WHO possible smoked some marijuana around this thing back then.  LOL 


I've been debating on if I should add jewels to it or not?  I think it's a great collectors piece and would make an amazing umbrella holder.

After spending time in Luling I got back on the road.  I found a few places along the way to Austin that were open and decided to keep going and if I had time, Id stop on my way home.

  I finally got back to Austin's apparent "bad side" of town (the place I was lost at on Tuesday), and did a U - Turn to visit the little Good Will.  I'm glad I did that because It was a major JACKPOT on some great linens.  I found two sets of Shabby Chic home comforter sets NIP!  Some great throw pillows, an iron candelabra, mirror, lamps, and a purse and scarf.  VEry happy!  I finally got back to the place I found the blue Velvet headboard on Tuesday.  I was so grateful that I did not have to stop at the XTC dance club again.  I did manage to get lost once again...but was able to find my way a little better this time around.


I think this piece is AMAZING!  If you added some soothing and neutral colors to it, I think it would take away from the Cheesy look everyone keeps talking about.  I however, see major potential in it.  Add some white or khaki linens with some crystal chandeliers...so romantic!

Since Rocky from Luling and I already had my old pathfinder loaded down...and Good Will forced me to buy all the other items...I had no room in my car.  The man I purchased this from was so kind.  He and his help wrapped it up for me and tied it to the roof of my SUV. 

 Back on the road again...loaded down!  Just the way I like it!

Started to head on home and just had my eye out for yard sales and such...and I ran into this little run down general store on the side of the road that had a yard sale sign in front.  It also had a great china hutch for only $60.  But I was already over the top with furniture and I could tell the guy wasn't going to get off his butt and help me load it.  I looked around in his very scarce inventory and found this beautiful thing.  I know most of us know exactly what this is a replica of.  Except some of my friends and people in town...they didn't get it?  Do you?


Back on the road and was almost passing thru Luling when i found this Antique store up the hill.  I pulled in and noticed all the portable carports full of wood, furniture remnants, iron, and all that fun and good stuff.  I decided to go inside the store...and when they said Antiques, they meant it.  I couldn't even afford a figurine on display.  I managed to find some lace and such.  I got to talking to the couple that owned it...and I asked them if they would allow me to rummage thru their junk out there.  They had no problem with that.

The older couple even left to go eat and told me to have fun and take whatever I want!  I don't think people understand when they tell a picker or a junker to "take whatever you want" means...we will dig and we will take it!

Here is me starting to rummage.  I got really dirty, but it was oh so worth it!


I found amazing items...stuff I couldn't believe they wanted to burn!  It's a Trash to Treasure Artist's dream to find things like this.  Headboards, vanities, tables, wood works, old metal bed springs, huge roll of rusted chicken wire, chair, iron shelving, cabinets, mirrors, wash tub, and old trunks!
It was H*ll loading everything on my own...I even ran out of rope!  I had to tie more on top of  the SUV.  I know I looked more like Sanford and Son, or the Beverly Hill Billies, cruising home..but I only got a few stares...and I was just assuming that was for my good looks! : ) Or it could be because of the missing fendor on the left side of my car...but I know it's because of the good looks.



It was time to go home.  I was already an hour past the time I was supposed to be home.  But I managed to capture this nice and calm photo.


Shabby Junque couture


No comments:

Post a Comment