Pages


Thursday, June 2, 2011

It's a party at the Flea Market...


"A flea market or swap meet is a type of bazaar where inexpensive or secondhand goods are sold or bartered"


A couple of weekends ago I decided to get away from the kids and head out to the local Flea Market.  I had a blast!  Did you know they serve beer?  Anyways, I went on a $100 budget..but spent a little of that on some drinks (oops).  When I left, my old hunk of junk pathfinder was loaded down and looked more like Sanford & son's  truck than the "Soccer Mom" car.  Oh well, I think it's fun and I could care less what most people think.  I guess it gives a whole new meaning to "junk in the trunk" ?


I purchased several items.  My favorite find of the day were three ugly (I saw the beauty in them) 1960's/70's looking dining room chairs. It brought back some good memories of our old house when I was growing up.  You know, the house with the Avocado Green appliances, floors, and dark wood panel walls?   It took me about 20 min to perfect them.  They were perfect!  I nabbed 3 of them.  That vendor was ready to make a deal..and I got a deal!



The next HOT find was a gorgeous wooden mirror.  It was heavy and solid!  Once again,it was a dark brown/wood color.  Which is great if you are into that.  But I chose to paint it white just due to the decor in my home.  Here's how that whole situation went down:  Me: "how much for the mirror?"  Vendor: "$35", so I went on my way because I was not going to pay that much for something I knew they didn't want to pack back up in their truck.  So I kept shopping.  A few beers later, and a full market cart i went back.  I asked them if they would go down on the price.  One of the guys said "yeah, your good looking enough."  He was driving off anyway.  So that left me with his buddy that I could tell was a sucker.  So I got him to sell me the mirror plus a pewter jewelry box all for $25!!  This mirror is great!  You can hang it in an entry way, add it to a dresser, or any wall space that needs "something".  I added it to an old credenza that I use in my living room to hold blankets, quilts, extra pillows, and sheets.



Then I found a bunch of beautiful candelabras and candle holders.


I'm in love with nature and birds.  I've always loved these cast iron bird baths.  They come in all kinds of sizes and styles.  You can find them pretty much anywhere.  Such as Hobby Lobby, Home Goods, TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Ross, ect.  Most of the time if you buy them at little shops they can get pretty pricey.  But the other places I listed them for sale them for
 about
 $9.99 - $40.00.
I grabbed my little beauty at the flea market for $5.  I decided to place it on my table to hold my sugar substitute packages.  They also make GREAT candle holders or candy dishes.


My Partner in Crime and I came across some vendors that were selling some pretty neat lamps.  They were all metal and came with the shades.  These were great lamps for the patio.  This way when we get the south breeze blowing it doesn't knock down the lamp.  The base of the lamps were nice and heavy duty.  I grabbed my lamp for a whole $4.00.  To add my girly, shabby chic touch...I added some roses around the edge of the shade.  But watch out  when adding the roses or flowers yourself.  Because even at $1 a piece it will add up quick!


Trunks make great accessories in your home or on your porch/patio.  I found this pretty piece and decided to add it to my living room.  You can use it as a coffee table or a center piece to a room for when you have company over.  These are great multi functional pieces.  You can find vintage trunks at a variety of places.  If you plan to use it as a coffee table, you need to make sure you purchase one that doesn't have the dome top. 


 I was able to use it as a coffee table, but then it works great as a toy box or a storage solution as well.  It makes for easy access to Gunnar's toys and he doesn't have a problem opening and closing it.  However, watch out for those little fingers with your own children. 
  

Flea Markets are fun.  You really need to go with an open mind because you will find all kinds of things and see all kinds of people.  I've seen coffins for sale, sail fish replicas, and the hoochy momma's that wear short shorts, tanks, and big ole gold chains and bling, and their stillettos (really who is comfortable in that?).



 It can get hot and sweaty. (oo la, la)  Your best bet is to probley go without your children since you are ready to make some HOT deals!  That's all for now...until I visit the market again!  I'll keep you posted!
















No comments:

Post a Comment