Pages


Friday, June 3, 2011

Design on a Dime...Oh wait, I don't even have a dime...

Most people that know me, know that I am big into working in my yard.  It's something I've been doing since I was a little kid. I've always enjoyed it to the most extreme.  In fact, It's some of the best memories. 
My Dad and I would usually spend our weekends outside working in the yard.  He would yell at me and such for turning the lawn mower off and having it back fire...but I know he truly appreciated the help he got from me.  My Mom used to tell me this story about how when she was younger, she would mow the grass and the wheel would keep falling off as she made her rounds.  I've had that experience a few times as well. My brother and I had this old riding lawn mower w/o a deck.  So my Dad would hook up another push lawn mower w/o the handles to the back of the riding one.  We called it our "Shredder".  I remember even having to pull the start cord to get the lawn mower started. 

 Because I enjoyed it so much then, I always looked forward to having a family to work in the yard with as I got older.  Well, I've got my family now, but no help!  Both my Husband and Daughter are really busy.  Just Gunnar..and he is 2, so most of the time the work I do outside is triple the work.  But I love the fact that he is my right-hand-man and I know one day he will be a hard worker too!  Maybe he wants to do all of it since I always had him strapped to my back or in my arms while I was mowing when he was an infant.  You know us Momma's?  We are pretty determined to get things done! 

Ok...so onto the photos.  I'm listing several photos of my work that I've done in my own yard.  I live in South Texas where it's 100 degrees in January, and in a town where the dirt is not dirt, it's clay or concrete.  So some of my solutions were to plant all the flowers, plants, ect in pots.  Well, I think pots are boring and can really make your yard look cluttered and disorganized...so I added my own touch to a few areas. 

First up, this was a flower bed that used to be solid Oleanders.  They were a gorgeous hot pink color.  My husband didn't like it, so he pulled them all out with a Tractor one day...w/o my permission. 

He said they were poisonous!  Yes, I realize that, but I don't think my dog or kids were going to be sitting there chomping on the oleanders.  Anyways, After 3 years of looking at that boring area w/o my oleanders and getting frustrated and mad at my husband, I took matters into my own hands.( I don't like to wait on anyone).  Plus this is a full sun area.  When you have a full sun area, you need to make sure that you buy and purchase plants, shrubs, ect that can take at least 8 hours of the West sun.  You need to read the labels on the plants and see the temperature settings that the plant can handle too.  This way, it takes away from a plant dieing or burning up and you having to spend more and more money on plants each year. Or you could hire me to do all that for you. These pictures were taken when I first completed the project in April.  Everything is almost over grown now, and I will post those pics at a later date.  FYI, I'm looking for a metal chicken roost, house, you know the thing the chicks lay their eggs in...to hang on my old fence.  So if anyone has one at a decent price, contact me  PALEEEEEZ!


I didn't want to use traditional garden pots as mentioned before.  So I went to "The Barn" in downtown Floresville.  I found 2 old trunks that the lady gave me a great deal on.  As mentioned in a before post, the trunks are great for all kinds of uses. 


I had this area of my yard that was pretty much dead.  It's just too hot and dry down here.  So instead of using dirt or mulch, I added river rock instead.  You can pretty much visit any outdoor material yard, and they will have a large selection of rock, mulches, flagstone, and all that fun and pretty stuff.  I got all my river rock from Pfiel's in Floresville, TX.  I even loaded, hauled it, and unloaded it on my own, with a shovel and in my Pathfinder!  now that's dedication!
I decided to use the rock here instead because it gets too much of the hot, west sun.



And since I'm kinda into the "trash" thing.  I found these cute garden stakes at our local Dollar store and just had to have them.  My husband would not allow me to place them in the front yard, so out by our back gate they went.  But actually, I enjoy seeing them there anyways.  So he had a good suggestion.  They are PINK, and a happy site!




I Love animals.  If I could save each and every one of them, I would.  But I also have the love for fish and turtles.  So I created this pond out of a tub I found for $10 at the Garden Party in Poth, TX.  Then I just used some flagstone, river rock, Shells collected on my honeymoon, and a garden pot I had laying around.  The fish are a joy to watch and my little man, Gunnar enjoys feeding them.  Also, Buddy, my dog has fallen in a few times trying to catch them.  He always stops by the pond on the way out to do his "business".  The Cat could care less about the fish.  When I went to clean the pond the other day, I noticed a large toad.  So I helped him out, only to be scared by an ugly SNAKE!  I hate snakes.  Sorry, but the snake didn't make it.  Ewe!  Since the fish are so happy to be my pets, they are sticking around and they are growing!  So with that said, it looks as though I will be building a very large pond soon.  Yay, a new project!



 




Buddy must have gotten thirsty after fishing by the pond, cuz I caught him doing this:



My little pond is nestled under a tree along the fence line in a flower bed.  I dug a trench by hand and with a grubbing hoe, to run the electric cord to the pump.  The grass has already grown back over it. 



So that is my backyard.  Of course it's huge but those are the pics from my projects.  Here are a few from my patio seating area.  We used to have a vintage coca-cola table and chairs out there.  But I'm more Shabby Chic, and wanted something Romantic Country.  So I searched on Craigslist until I came across this set in the photos.  The set was originally painted a poo poo brown., so i brushed each piece by hand with white paint.  This too was another trip that I had to tie the furniture on top of my Pathfinder.  it was funny.  I'm pretty sure the neighbors are very entertained by me.  Two of the larger chairs are from a garage sale, and one of the chairs is off the side of the road.  You will see a complete story on that one in another blog.



Thanks for visiting today!
Like me on Facebook






No comments:

Post a Comment