Pages


Tuesday, April 10, 2012

When you need some wood...

Finally back from the crazy Rutersville/Warrenton/Roundtop Antique Week in Texas.  That is a whole Vegas the Junkin' Texas Way!  Wow, I needed like three days to restore myself after being there.  That blog is my next one....but there is so much adventure to share...that it will take me several days to write that one.

In the meantime, I decided to share the other side of me.  The side that takes plenty of pride in her home and yard.  A few weeks ago I came across this one piece of wood that I just absolutely had to have.  I already knew what i wanted to do with it when I first laid eyes upon it.  (no dirty jokes)

I love to share my stories about my adventures as a child as well.  We had this beautiful River Bottom off the San Antonio River.  It was covered with Pecan trees and lots of raspberry and grapevines.  We used to ride our bikes and four wheelers down there for hours.  Swing from the vines too.  I always loved exploring and adventure.  Still do.  So I was always the girl that would try to encourage everyone to grab a stick so we could hike up the river and look for junk and driftwood. 

I have quite a bit of driftwood located in my flower beds and planters.  All from my river trips, tubing adventures, and beach excursions.  This one piece of wood I'm fixing to share photos of, was something different.  check it out for yourself.  I apologize for the poor quality of photos.  I was using my iphone.

Here we go, Step by step process.  First, here is what I have.  It's a semi hollowed out, funky shaped wood piece.


After that, I started to hollow the middle out a little bit more.  I just picked up one of my son's sand shovels and started to dig.


Well, after that got me kinda angry and frustrated I decided to take a break and relax for a minute.  Not an hour.


AFter I got semi refueled I realized the kid's shovel was not cutting it.  I walked over to my potting shed and grabbed my hatchet. (watch out.  Girl with a hatchet and glass of wine...I would be scared)


The hatchet was a miracle!  So much easier and better because I was able to get cleaner edges and a bottom.
After this, I started to add some potting soil I picked up at the grocery store.  Nothing fancy, just the cheapo stuff.


Add your potting soil to your new hollowed wood.


Pack it in really well.  Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty or your finger nails messy. 


Start adding your favorite plants.  I'm in LOVE with vines, or any other type of plant you can tear off from the original potted plant that will grow anywhere.  These plants were all just little pieces off of my already established potted plant.
Then  WHOOP, WHOOP!  You have a beautiful cascade of different foliage.  I added the Angel that is about 10 years old...to this piece just because i felt it symbolized me. ; )

Enjoy!





Below are some other snapshots I took while working in my yard. Most know I'm big into Junkin'.  So I pretty much re purpose whatever kind of container I can find.  It's easy and not expensive and looks super FABULOUS!














No comments:

Post a Comment